The plaque reads "The Pioneer Cemetery grounds were in use as early as 1852, with the burial of Elias Brigg's children, in 1866, Harvey Small, Edwin Powers and T.J. Brattain were selected as trustees by a town meeting. Elias Briggs and his wife Mary, executed and delivered the cemetery deed to the trustees on October 31, 1866. Lane County Cemetery Association papers were filed.
In 1872, Springfield was surveyed and platted, and the cemetery was platted as block forty-one; the total area being roughly two acres.
The cemetery continued to be used for burial purposes until about 1900.
On lot four of block forty-one the first Christian church was built and remained there until approximately 1905 when it moved to its present location at 4th and North "A" Street.
On July 22, 1913, because of an incorrect description of the property, a suit was filed in circuit court of Lane County. The resulting decree conveyed the cemetery to the town of Springfield. The mayor and members of the common council and their successors were then appointed trustees of the cemetery.
On June 26, 1915 the city council recommended that the cemetery be surveyed and fenced from this date until 1972, very little was done for the improvement of this cemetery. On February 7, 1973 the city of Springfield undertook a beautification project and renovated the cemetery to honor Springfield's pioneer families."
This plaque stands in front of a small park. Some of the original headstones are located near this plaque.